Franklin Oil and Gas Co. History
The Franklin Oil and Gas Company was established in 1903 by Frederick B. Senter, the founder and first president of the company. Located at 40 South Part Street, between Willis Street and the Wheeling and Lake Erie railroad tracks, the company grew to become one of the major manufacturing plants in Bedford.
A 1910 publication ("Beautiful Busy Bedford") stated that Mr. Senter had built a "splendid business". The growth of business at Franklin Oil apparently required the perodic expansion of facilities along Willis Street. An article in the Bedford Times in 1929 referred to a new building under construction by the company, and a 1941 article in the Cleveland Press stated that the company was one of thirteen large diversified industries in the community. Photographs taken in 1903, 1933, and 1973 show the growth of office and plant facilities.
For 93 years the Franklin Oil company maintained an important presence in Bedford. This came to an end in 1996 when the company was purchased by Fuchs Lubricants Co., and the operations in Bedford were discontinued.
References: Additional references may be found in "Bedford Village Views" by
Dick Squire, 1992 See index p. 366 for page numbers.
Frederick Baldwin Senter was born April 6, 1864 in Bedford, Ohio.
By W. Rhine
This website and all contents is © 2018 Bedford Historical Society All rights reserved.Bedford Historical Society · PO Box 46282 · Bedford, OH 44146-0282 · (440) 232-0796